Here is the original text from our insurance contract translated into English by our insurance company, Bao Viet.
I. General provisions
1. Subject to the provisions provided thereafter, Vietnam Insurance Corporation (in brief: BAOVIET) undertakes to insure foreigners (including Vietnamese who resident overseas) traveling Vietnam (hereinafter called the Assured) include:
- Those who come to Vietnam for sightseeing, visiting friends and relative, attending international conference, seminar, congress, participating in sport and game competitions, artistic performances, going on a mission.
- Those who are residing in Vietnam such as experts, workers, students, those who are working in the diplomatic delegations and in the international organization, and when they are traveling within the territory of Vietnam.
2. In case the Assured engages in exploration, dangerous performance, cycling, motor- race, horse-race, boat-race sport and games of professional nature as football and boxing matches, mountaineering, surf-riding… the Assured is only insured provided that an additional premium required by him has been paid to BAOVIET as specified in the “Premium tariff and insured amount”
The Assured who is insured under these Regulations shall still have the rights to enter into and enjoy other classes of insurance.
II. Scope of Insurance
BAOVIET shall within the scope of this insurance cover the Assured for the following risks:
- Bodily injury or death caused by accident.
- Illness or death not caused by accident during the period of insurance.
Within the meaning of these Regulations, an accident which has occurred, due to an external event, beyond the will of the Assured suddenly affecting his body and is a proximate and direct cause of the death or bodily injury that the Assured suffers from.
- Loss of and damage to accompanied baggage and personal effects reasonably attributable to the cause of fire, explosion, sinking, overturn, falling of means of conveyance.
- Loss of package of checked baggage in the course of travel.
Article 4: BAOVIET shall not be liable for:
1. Risks arising from the following direct causes:
- Willful violation of law, regulations, rules of travel agency, of local authority at the place of travel, by the Assured.
- Willful act of the Assured or his heir-at-law
- The Assured is under the influence of alcohol, beer, intoxicating drugs, a narcotic or other stimulants and likewise.
2. Expenses incurred in accordance with the Article 10.2 in the following cases:
- The Assured falls ill with mental disease or is pregnant (except in case of miscarriage consequent upon accident ), or give birth.
- The Assured is going to treat for wound or illness already before this insurance come into force.
- Treatment or use of medicines which is not in accordance with the prescription of the physician.
3. Loss or damage in accordance with the article 12 below in respect of:a. Gold, silver, germ-stones, precious metals, cashes, travel cheque, checks, bonds and securities equivalent thereto, passport, driver’s license, tickets, documents, drawings, designs.b. Scratched and wet things without losing its function of use.c. Requisition, seizure or confiscation by or under of competent authority.
IV. Contract of Insurance, period of Insurance, Premium andinsurance amounts
This Policy shall commence and terminate with the period of insurance stated in the Policy. In the event that the Policy is issued to the Assured by BAOVIET before his coming to Vietnam, the insurance shall attach from the time of completion of the entry-visa and in all cases, if the Assured leaves Vietnam prior to the expiry date of the insurance period stated therein, the insurance shall expire on completion of the exit- visa.
The insured amount specified in the Policy shall be the maximum limit of liability of BAOVIET to be applied to bodily injury or death of the Assured and loss of or damage to the Assured’s baggage and personal effects.
1. In case of proposal for extension of the period of insurance, the Assured has to pay an addition premium prior to the expiry date specified in the Policy.
2. If the Assured’s journey is behind schedule in comparison with the period of insuranceexpected due to typhoon, flood, fire, earthquake or road, bridge, means of conveyance being damaged, the period of insurance specified in the Policy shall be automatically extended until such journey has ended without paying additional premium. However, this lasting duration shall not exceed 48 hours. If the above duration has expired, the Assured has to notify the nearest office of BAOVIET in order to consider insuring continuously, computing additional premium or suspending the insurance, subject to each concrete case.
If the either of two parties proposes to cancel the insurance, such party must notify the other prior to 24 hours. When both parties have agreed to the cancellation, the unexpired premium shall be returned at the pro-rata of 80%, provided that until that time no approval has been confirmed by BAOVIET for the payment of claim.
V. The rights of Assured
1. Should the covered accident results in the Assured’s death or permanent total disablement, BAOVIET shall pay the total insured amount mentioned in the Policy.” Permanent Total Disablement” shall within the meaning of these Regulations includes loss of one leg and one arm or loss of both legs or both arms or loss of sight of eyes. “Loss of limbs” shall mean physical cutting of a hand or a foot and total and irrecoverable loss of use of arm or leg.
2. BAOVIET shall pay necessary and reasonable expenses to the Assured consequent upon accident or illness within the scope of insurance, but not exceeding the insured amount specified in the Policy, including:
- Expenses for ambulance service and medical expenses during the period of treatment in Vietnam.
- Board and room charges in hospital during the period of treatment in Vietnam at the rate of 0.20% of the insured amount per day.
Expenses for the Assured’s repatriation in case of not treating in Vietnam, such expenses include:
- Hire cost of ambulance car to the Airport for homeward journey.
- Costs for additional seat, accompanied medical appliances and medicines (in case of emergency).
- otel and travel expenses for an attendant as necessitate to care for the Assured when repatriating at the request of the director of hospital where the Assured is treating due to dread state of wound or illness.
d. Should the Assured die for reason not relate to the accident, BAOVIET shall only pay expenses for inhumation or cremation in Vietnam or homeward transportation expenses for the Assured’s corpse and baggage.
Should the Assured die or sustain permanent total disablement within 180 days from the date of occurrence of the covered accident due to direct consequence thereof, BAOVIET shall pay the balance between the insured amount specified in the policy and the sum which has been paid beforehand.
BAOVIET shall indemnify the Assured for loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects within the scope of insurance in accordance with the following conditions, but not exceeding the insured amount of baggage and personal effects specified in the Policy.
1. In case of loss of or damage to things, according to the Assured’s declaration, BAOVIET shall consider and make settlement of the indemnity in accordance with its actual value at the time of loss or damage on the basis of the price of a new thing likewise in the seller’s country at the time of payment of the indemnity.
2. In case of slight damage to thing, if such thing can be used after being repaired or replaced by spare-parts, BAOVIET shall pay expenses for such repair or such replacement in Vietnam. In case the repair or replacement can not be made in Vietnam, BAOVIET shall indemnify in accordance with the proportion of loss.
3. The limit of indemnity for any item stated in the list of baggage, and personal effects shall be 20% of the insured amount of baggage and personal effects specified in the Policy. A pair or set of anything shall be considered as one item.
4. In case of baggage or personal effects lost, if after receipt of the indemnity from BAOVIET, such baggage and personal effects are found, the Assured is entitle to retain them and return the amount of indemnity to BAOVIET. If the Assured does not retain this property within 30 days from the date of receiving BAOVIET’s notice, BAOVIET has the right to take over thereof for purpose of recovering the amount of indemnity which has been paid.
VI. claim Procedures
When the covered risk occurs, the Assured or his representative is required:
1. To give notice thereof to the nearest office of BAOVIET or his hotel or the travel agency within 24 hours.
2. To implement all the instructions of BAOVIET, his hotel or the travel agency.
1. When requesting the payment of medical expenses, repatriation expenses, the doctor appointed by BAOVIET shall be given permission to have the Assured’s health examined at any time when required.
2. In case of loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects, the Assured shall be liable to prevent and minimize loss to the lowest extent.
The amount of indemnity shall be paid to the Assured or person who is given authorization by the Assured. Should the Assured die, the legal heir shall be permitted to receive such amount.
When proposing the payment of claim, the Asssured or his representative or his legal heir shall furnish to BAOVIET, within 30 days from the date on which the Assured leaves hospital in Vietnam or dies (but not exceeding one year from the date of occurrence of the covered risk) or sustains loss or damage of baggage, the following documents:
1. In case of the Assured suffers accident or illness:
- Accident Report on circumstance of death or bodily injury.
- Medical treatment certificate issued by medical center.
- Receipts for payment of medical expenses, repatriation expenses and others.
- Death Certificate and Certificate for legal heir (in case of death)
2. In case of loss or damage to baggage or personal effects:
- Documents to prove the extent of loss of or damage to baggage or personal effects.
- Report on loss of package of baggage issued by the carrier and baggage ticket.
- Declaration of the value of property damaged details.
- Customs declaration for entry into Vietnam, in which baggage and property carried to Vietnam are stated clearly (in case the Assured has to fill the customs formalities)
- Repair or replacement invoices.
3. Other documents concerned at request of BAOVIET
In case the Assured authorizes another to receive the amount of claim, a letter of attorney shall be supplemented.
Where there are signs showing the dishonesty of the Assured or his heir in the implementation of these Regulations, BAOVIET shall have the rights to refuse the payment of claim partly or wholly according to the extent of infringement.
The Assured is liged on receipt of the indemnity for loss of or damage to baggage and personal effects to transfer the right of claim against Third Party (if any) to BAOVIET in respect of the amount of the indemnity which has been paid and to give all facilities to BAOVIET for exercising such rights.
The Assured’s or his legal heir’s rights of claim against BAOVIET in respect of the payment of claim shall cease to operate after the lapse of one year from the date of receipt of the notice in settlement of claim from BAOVIET.
Non- deductible franchise
BAOVIET shall apply a Non-deductible franchise when the total expenses under the Article 9.2 or the loss value of baggage and personal effects under the Article 11 of this Policy shall only be or under 20.00 USD